Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Overcoming the Horror of Blog Cliches

I'm trying to think different, or think at all, about blogs, about having a few blogs. Jeff Atwood, whose Coding Horror has been passing through my thought at random times for a very long time has formulated 13 blog cliches. At this point, blog pointers suffers from four or five of them.

One is connectivity. The point of a blog is to enter into a conversation, or so I hear.

Another is an About Me. I felt a certain horror at using my old picture in this. Why shouldn't I customize my About Me for every blog?

As I go through the 13 I can be smug about most of them. But the one that is sharper than a serpents tooth is the caustic entry about meta-blogging, the blogging about blogging.

There is a natural nausea about all forms of meta-chatter. There is the very real concern that this is somehow a substitute for doing something. Being in some ways unfalsifiable, it can shade off into bloviation. I can only console myself a little that this is a bagatelle in the interest of learning the medium, and I'll move on into something else. But in my mind this little guy is taking on a bit of a life of its own...

No comments:

Post a Comment