Monday, April 5, 2010

Pushing the Monetize Button

Either you see an advertisement at the bottom of the content area and at the bottom of the sidebar or you don't.

If you do, then I haven't gotten annoyed and disgusted and turned 'em off. If you don't, I did.

When you push the Monetize button, you go into AdSense controls. You give them a mailing addy and some other things that aren't too difficult. You don't give them tax information, i.e. your social, until they actually have $10 to send you, which makes sense. There are no doubt kerjillions of little blogs that have $0.17 revenue and holding.

It all seems pretty slick. I can even turn off ads from certain categories, such as religions, vitamin supplements, and so on. Since AdSense is what makes Google Google to a certain extent, I guess I would expect it to be pretty polished.

I'm trying to imagine being a content provider with lots and lots eyeballs to sell (Lady Gaga's Myspace?... I see that it only has the ordinary banner ad at the top.) -- and  the good will of those visitors.

I'm still a long way from figuring out how to sell steak, much less sizzle. Right now I'm just learning about the nuts and bolts.

Once you have an AdSense account parameterized, you can put the ads on different things; they give you a code snippet, with color scheme preferences to work with.

I may be mistaken but it looks as though all your ads in the world have the same parameters. (Maybe I have a louche website somewhere where I do want tattoo parlors?) When I clarify this I'll share...

No comments:

Post a Comment