Sunday, April 4, 2010

Blogger Will Host Your Pictures

It wasn't obvious to me, but Blogger will host your images. When you go to add an image, it gives you two radio buttons. One is to add a url to your image at your hosting site. The other is to upload. This in turn will show up when you log into Picasa.

Nevertheless, I'm also experimenting with hosting sites. I have an account at Flickr and Shutterfly. If I learn anything interesting, I'll share.

Be warned that uploading images to a server is slow. I should know about different flavors of transfer protocols and such-like geekery but I don't; I just gather that transfer is more expensive than disk space for these providers.


====

Follow up. This weekend played with making a website that has a URL referring to a picture on flickr.

Should have been a no-brainer. 'Twarn't.

One little interface problem. Suppose you've gotten some pictures uploaded. You go to the picture. You want a url dealie you can embed in an img tag. There is NO OBVIOUS WAY TO DO THIS.

The blankety-blank button you need is labeled "All Sizes". On that page a nice lil edit box has the code snippet you need. After that, piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment